Monday, December 2, 2013

the birthday cake

This is a two-month overdue post.  But as they say, but late than never....

Anyways, for Hailey's 6th birthday last October, we had a change of plans at the last minute.  We scrapped the cupcake idea together with the DIY birthday plans so the toppers and invites I designed went to waste. And since we made reservations with Jollibee a week before the party, we did not meet the lead time for the Red Ribbon theme cake they offer with the party package.  Barbie cakes from Red Ribbon costs at least P2,000 and half of it is made of styrofoam.  So I decided I couldn't let Hailey's birthday pass without me doing anything craftsy.  Her birthday cake became by project.

Red Ribbon has this dedication cake for really low prices.  I decided to get the medium sized mocha one  and decorate it as school ground.  Keeping in line with the Barbie theme, I downloaded a picture of Barbie in Princess Charm School. 
Downloaded printable for the cake design

To emphasize the "school" setting, I made the signage and colored the DPS school logo pink.  I've also been seeing a lot of pennant banners for birthday and decided to download one as well.   I later realized that with the time I had, I was way over my head to think I'd be able to pull that off.  So I just threw in the other things I found at home like the plastic doll chair and TADA! Hailey's birthday cake:

Made miniature books and newspaper to put on the plastic
doll chair together with the pink crown.
From blue to pink - DPS school logo.
Printed out signage and taped them
on barbecue sticks.
The final product: Hailey's 6th Birthday Cake
Hailey loved the cake especially after I let her put the colored sprinkles on.  She enjoyed decorating the cake with me and even woke up early that day.  I wonder when we can do this again?  Christmas party? ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment